Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Snowy Stream

The temperature was in the mid thirties yesterday and the sun was shining - time to go fishing. Headed down to Coburn and parked just past the intersection of Penns Creek and Long Roads. Changed into my waders amid the roadside slop and tied on a green woolly bugger and a woven stonefly nymph. My leader was in poor shape having been slowly shaved down at the end of last year, but the deeper holes proved fruitful - four rainbows; one small, two around 10" and one pushing 13. Had a fifth one on, but I couldn't set the hook well as it hit right in front of me and lost it after a brief fight. Never had to change flies - caught two on both. It was great trying to cast along snow covered banks and hemlocks. The stream was at about 600cfs and a touch off color - perfect. The water was cold and my stripping hand got pretty cold in the wind - have to bring a glove next time. Now it's raining/snowing/sleeting outside and I've got a lot of work to do. Guess I'll be at this computer again for most of the day.

2 comments:

Libby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Libby said...

I am glad you do not lose me after a brief fight like you did with the fish...