Friday, April 18, 2008

Whippoorwill

Headed out last night to try my hand at roosting turkeys. I was hoping to either sneak up on some in one of the fields and listen to them roost or elicit a gobble using an owl call. Neither worked. I think I may have better luck hearing them gobble on the roost early in the morning rather than sighting them in the evening - there aren't that many secluded fields around here. It was nice, though, to be out at dusk in the woods. Saw another grouse (actually, I think it was the same one as T jumped yesterday afternoon) and the whippoorwills were calling everywhere. Walking up the gas line, worn from ATVs, I must have flushed 10 of them warming themselves in the soil. It was a hot, sunny day and you could feel the heat radiating off the ground long after the sun went down. Spooked a couple deer and heard some owls, too - not sure what kind; going to have to look that up.

No comments: